CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Problem with Bit in Rock

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Problem with Bit in Rock Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:04 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RJ,

I was trying today to remove the carving bit from the rock to install the 60degree bit and after turning the screw and the bit is loose it remains in the chuck. I try to pull it out and it appears loose but hung up. Not sure what is hanging it up. Any ideas?

2Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:02 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

Badger wrote:RJ,

I was trying today to remove the carving bit from the rock to install the 60degree bit and after turning the screw and the bit is loose it remains in the chuck. I try to pull it out and it appears loose but hung up. Not sure what is hanging it up. Any ideas?

Hi Badger,
If you had the clamp nut turn into a flat that would do it.... just loosen up the screw with the "T" handle several turns and push the locknut back. the tool will then be free. Be sure when you go to put the next tool in, that you face the flat or the slit in the sleeve, towards the hex in the bolt where you put the T handle in. This will orient the flat away from the locknut.
Also, when you go to tighten up the locknut... just turn it till you feel it drop in around the tool... when you snug it up it should end up flush with the outside of the bit adapter body...

Happy carving,

Ron

3Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sat Jul 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Thanks RJ will check this out and let ya know how it turns out.

4Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:35 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RJ,

Still not sure what is holding it up but noticed a slight piece of the chuck that scrapped when using the wrenches that is holding what I beleive you call the clamp nut in. Not sure If I was explaining it correctl

Problem with Bit in Rock Chuck10

Problem with Bit in Rock Chuck010

5Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:52 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

Badger wrote:RJ,

Still not sure what is holding it up but noticed a slight piece of the chuck that scrapped when using the wrenches that is holding what I beleive you call the clamp nut in. Not sure If I was explaining it correctl

Problem with Bit in Rock Chuck10

Problem with Bit in Rock Chuck010

Hi Badger,
Yes the round piece that has the threaded hole in it is the clamp nut.... it does look like a burr is rolled over on top of it. What i would recommend is to back the screw out about 3 or 4 turns, then tap on the head to get it to overcome the burr, then take the screw all the way out and push the clamp nut all the way out using the T handle... then take a file and lightly take the burr off of each piece. Then push the clamp nut back into the bore, and turn the screw back into it 2 or 3 turns, and push the clamp nut back and forth a few times to make sure it is floating smoothly... Then put a bit back in the bore and rotate the clamp nut till it engages the tool correctly. You will know it is correct when the clamp nut is smooth with the outside of the bit adapter like it is in your picture right now... Then you can tighten up your bit as usual, crack it loose and make sure it releases, then re-tighten... you will then be all set....

6Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:20 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Ok that worked. Thanks. Now to make sure Im putting the bit back in correctly. The locking nut on the chuck do I have to make sure that the slit on the bit does not come in contact with that or do I need to make sure it does?

In the image does the locking nut tighten up on that slit or do I need to make sure that it doesnt? I beleive it doesnt which might explain why it was catching when I tried to remove it.

Problem with Bit in Rock Bit10

7Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:12 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

Badger wrote:Ok that worked. Thanks. Now to make sure Im putting the bit back in correctly. The locking nut on the chuck do I have to make sure that the slit on the bit does not come in contact with that or do I need to make sure it does?

In the image does the locking nut tighten up on that slit or do I need to make sure that it doesnt? I beleive it doesnt which might explain why it was catching when I tried to remove it.

Problem with Bit in Rock Bit10

You want to make sure that it does NOT touch the flat. To do so, if you face the flat towards the Hex in the clamp screw (where you insert the "T" handle wrench), it will put the flat in exactly the correct position. You can also point the slit that is in the Rock Sleeves towards the hex and it will cause the maximum clamp pressure to be transferred to the bit.

Happy Carving,

Ron

8Problem with Bit in Rock Empty Re: Problem with Bit in Rock Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:14 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Thanks RJ,

Appreciate the help, now back to carving.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum