CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

rock chuck

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1rock chuck Empty rock chuck Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:56 pm

supershingler

New User

i now have a rock installed on both of my machines.

i can say when both are running the noise level is still less that when i had just one machine running with the qc installed.

i wish someone with a sound meter could measure the difference in sound level before and after. i think it would blow you away.

also there is almost no vibration with the rock chuck. the little black knob on the raise/lower handle used to turn in circles with the qc and not barely moves with the rock.

i love it and would recomend it to anyone.

kendall

2rock chuck Empty Rock Chuck Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Can the Rock Chuck use the standard 1/2" shanked CarveWright bits once removed from their collars?

Will replacing the CW chuck with the Rock Chuck void the CW warranty?

Thanks in advance. If the answers to the above questions are good, then this looks like the first after market item that I'm going to buy for my machine! The noise and vibration factors alone make it worth the bucks to me.

Very Happy

3rock chuck Empty Re: rock chuck Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:34 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Woodchips,

Ron has a 1/2" version for the bits and you will need to have a 1/4" adapter for the the 1/4" bits.

I would assume the warranty would be voided as it is not an LHR approved part.

Make sure you look a the "contact" info post for Ron and the rock chuck. It will take you to his web site for more info..

http://ringneckblues.com

4rock chuck Empty Rock Chuck Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:36 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

FW,

Thanks for the quick reply.

It's the noise issue, the vibration issue and the warranty issue that are of major concern. The noise and vibration seem to be taken care of with this new chuck. But it's the warranty issue that sort of bothers me a little. Comments? Have you or Jason heard anything from LHR about this?

The other thing is the removal of the original qc. I've read what Ron has to say and he states that you have to heat the original qc to remove it because of the lock tight etc. He also states that when doing so you have to take extra precautions not to damage anything in the chuck head.

Did you have any problems with this? How easy was it for you to remove the original qc from your machine? Did you do as Ron suggested?

I was about ready to spring for the entire package, including the 1/4" adapter until I read what Ron had to say about using heat to remove the original qc.

Sincerely appreciate any light you can shed on this. Thanks in advance.

Very Happy

5rock chuck Empty Re: rock chuck Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:08 am

ruggybear

New User

I have changed the QC many times before I got the Rock Chuck. Every time I heated the QC with my wife's hair dryer to loosen the locktite before applying any pressure with the QC removal tools. When replacing the QC I always used BLUE locktite. The above process caused no problems at all.

http://www.ruggybear.com

6rock chuck Empty Re: rock chuck Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:11 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Woodchips,

I have removed the original QC on 2 machines and was able to do so with out any heat at all.

I used a cheater bar and the wrench handle for more leverage. With the square drive inserted in the top of the spindle (remove the top hat) and the wrench on the QC, hold the square drive firmly and then give the wrench with the cheater bar a few quick/snap tugs to break the locktite loose. I would give this a try before trying any heat. I know of a few that ended up melting the the QC, drive belt and bearings

As to your questions on warranty, if you had to send you CW to LHR for any reason I would put the QC back on...

7rock chuck Empty Rock Chuck Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:14 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

FW,

Sounds like a plan. Was wondering about what sort of damage may occur when heat is applied to the QC head.

Certainly hope LHR is NOT reading this forum with regards to the warranty issue using the Rock Chuck. Hmmm???

Very Happy

8rock chuck Empty Re: rock chuck Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:18 am

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Hope you can do it as I did and you do not have to use any heat.

And do not be affraid to give it a try...

9rock chuck Empty Re: rock chuck Sun Jul 05, 2009 11:00 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

woodchipsltd wrote:Can the Rock Chuck use the standard 1/2" shanked CarveWright bits once removed from their collars?

Will replacing the CW chuck with the Rock Chuck void the CW warranty?

Thanks in advance. If the answers to the above questions are good, then this looks like the first after market item that I'm going to buy for my machine! The noise and vibration factors alone make it worth the bucks to me.

Very Happy
Hi Guys,
Yes the "Rock System" can accept the 1/2 shank tools from CW... I have developed Sleeves that are specific to the Rock chuck that will allow the use of 1/4" shank tools such as your standard 1/4" shank carving bit, and your CW 1/8" cutout bit. I also have a 1/2 to 1/8 Sleeve that allows you to purchase 1/8 shank cutout bits that i sell. These bits are $14 cheaper than the CW bits, and are being reported to be working better/ lasting longer.

As far as the warranty issue, there has been a couple inquiries to LHR about this, and it was stated that "the jury is still out on that one".... I assure you that the upgrade to my chuck is not only quieter, smoother, and more dependable, It will also reduce heat and vibration, which is a known problem to any mechanical device.

Thanks for your interest, and please take a minute to check out my website in the signature links below.... while it is pretty basic, it is simple to navigate and find what you want quickly..

Happy Carving,

Ron

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum