CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Just put in my order

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Just put in my order Empty Just put in my order Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:12 pm

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

I just placed my order for the Rock Chuck this morning. I don't know how long it takes to ship, but as soon as I get it I will provide updates for everyone.

2Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:06 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

Hi Dudbuster,
The Rock Chuck is in stock and will ship the next business day from when payment clears...

I sincerely thank you for the order, and look forward to your comments after you try it out!

Happy Carving,

Ron

3Just put in my order Empty Rock Chuck Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:16 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

DudBuster,

Once you get the Rock installed you'll love it! Please read my posts on this subject.

Hopefully you won't have some of the problems others have had in the removal of the old QC but........ if you do there is a lot of info out there to help you out. Hopefully you did in fact order two of the removal tools (the little square ended tool that you use your ratchet/socket with) as this, especially if your original QC gives you problems, will be the first thing to break in the removal process.

Again, if you need some help, please do not hesitate to ask. Good luck!

cheers Very Happy

4Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:47 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

RJ not sure if its been addressed but one of the problems is the adapter snapping off in the slot. I know some people will force it and it will snap if the blue lock tite has not softened up yet.

Here also is one thought, looked where mine snapped and a friends (he just bought #1 package) and his snapped off in the same machine. Not sure if the problem of putting in the adapter while you were trying to heat up the QC to loosen it up but just thought about it and Im thinking since your adapter is made from what appears to be cast aluminum, if people leave the adapter in the slot while trying to warm up the QC you just might be warming up the adapter at the same time and Im sure heating up cast aluminum is not a good idea when your about to apply pressure to it.

So I think it needs to be addressed to wait and put the adapter in until after you are finished heating up the QC so as to not heat up the adapter also. Im thinking this is one reason why people are snapping the square bit adapter.

5Just put in my order Empty Rock Chuck removal Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:01 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Dudbuster, Badger and Ron Justice,

Before even beginning to remove the old QC I read over and over again the information supplied by Ron Justice, specifically about heating up the old QC with that rod inserted. Either my original QC was installed at the CW factory with something other than lock tight or someone welded it in place. I went through three of those removal tools before the forth one actually worked but that was after heating and reheating the original QC three times. I never once installed the little square removal tool while I was heating the original QC.

Here's another helpful hint. Ron Justice states to use tin foil to protect everything around the head and use a towel soaked in water to help keep the heat away from those items that can be damaged. DO IT! And don't skimp on the foil either! I accidental burned through at least one possibly two layers of foil when I inadvertantly moved the torch off target. Happens to the best of us.

Bottom line is that I followed Ron Justice' "hard removal" directions to the letter. And other than breaking three removal tools because I did not heat the original QC long enough, everything worked as advertised. Apparently various machines leave the CW factory with various versions of lock tight. Some are easy to remove, and some, like mine, will cause grey hair!

Should anyone care for all of the details please ask and I will provide the step by step procedures that I used.

Final bottom line is that once you get the Rock Chuck installed and start using it you'll be asking yourself why CW didn't use the Rock Chuck to begin with. The lack of noise is the first thing you'll notice. And then the lack of vibration which I'm leaning towards believing causes all sorts of other issues with the machine. So once you get the Rock installed, most of those other issues should go away.

Good luck.

cheers Very Happy

6Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:23 pm

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

I received the Rock Chuck the other day and finally installed it yesterday. I had a few other issues I had to work out with the machine before adding this beautiful hunk of machined metal to it.

So, my CW and I had our little "Come to Jesus" talk and everything seems to be going well. As a reward I told her that if she was good I would let her Rock for a while.

Installation: Went extremely well, I was not plagued by some of the issues that others have had with their QC being welded in place. I didn't even have to heat anything up. A few quick jerks of the wrench and I was QC free (I did break the square bit that came with the kit though.... I used a S2 insert that goes to my ratchet screwdriver as a replacement). I cleaned off the threads and added a couple of drops of blue Loc Tite and screwed the new Rock Chuck on. In fact I was so excited that I forgot to wait for the Loc Tite to dry before I fired up the Cw and started to carve (it says 24 hour, I waited about 3). IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE YOU READ DIRECTIONS FOR LOC TITE. IT SAYS WAIT 24 HOURS TO DRY!!!! About 5 minutes into the test carve the Rock ended up flying off the mount.

Little bit scary!!! But nothing broke (Thank you, God!!!)

I shut everything down and re-installed the Rock... this time I let it dry for 24 hours.

Immediately I have noticed a couple of things;

1. I do not have a decibel meter but I am guessing at least a 40% - 50% reduction in noise from the machine. I don't know how, or why.... but it is definitely noticeable.

2. Flex shaft seems to run about 10 - 20 degrees cooler than with the QC (depending on where you measure).

3.I dont know how to explain this other than to say, the CW machine just seems to work better, or it likes the Rock better than the QC. I really dont know how to explain this one.... but those of you who have a Rock hopefully know what I mean.

4. I have noticed quality improvements in project cuts. There is no way to measure (that I know of) the percentage of improvement, but again it is one of those things that is noticeable. I only have a few projects under my belt with the QC, and 2 with the Rock so keep this in mind. Also, I dont know if the jump in quality is due to the Rock itself, the new bit that came with it, or a combination of the 2 but again, it is noticeable. I am still testing some patterns using pine and soft wood, so there should be a drastic difference when I switch to a harder wood for the final product.

5. I dont change out bits that often, but for those that do you will notice that changing bits in the Rock is extremely easy and quick. I also like the fact that you can use "3rd Party" bits like these for custom and special effects while carving.

I do have one question though: How do I use the scanning probe with the Rock? Can I just take the bit out of the scanning probe housing and put it in the Rock?

.... and 1 recommendation: I dont know how hard it would be to make the square bit out of some other material, but the metal does seem a little brittle. What kind of metal is used for bits like this Bit, SCRULOX, #2? This is the one I used after the square bit broke.

Lastly, the Rock system is awesome!!! In my opinion its well worth the money.

Last edited by DudBuster on Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:14 am; edited 1 time in total

7Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:52 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

DudBuster wrote:

I do have one question though: How do I use the scanning probe with the Rock? Can I just take the bit out of the scanning probe housing and put it in the Rock?

Yes just remove it from the adapter and insert it into the rock.

8Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:18 am

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

Badger wrote:
DudBuster wrote:

Yes just remove it from the adapter and insert it into the rock.

You may have to take a fine file or sandpaper to remove the burrs that were kicked up from the setscrews peircing into the plastic stem. Keep in mind that you only want to use just enough tightness in the Rock Chuck to hold it from slipping out. It takes very little pressure. If you reef on the "T" handle you will destroy the stem on the Probe!!... be gentle!

Glad you are seeing the benefits that I advertised... The reason for all of the things improving that you mentioned is balance, and runout of the tool. The tools will last longer, and give you "crisper" detail due to being able to cut on all of their flutes. With the tool running out it is technically cutting only on one side of the tool. With runout this is amplified the faster the spindle turns.... It is litteraly whipping the tool outward, and putting excessive force on the bearings. I think that is what the major whine is that we hear.

Happy Carving,

Ron

9Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:27 pm

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

Thank you again Ron for creating such a wonderful aftermarket product! Something like this should definitely come stock with the CW machine. Have you ever contacted LHR about your Rock? Maybe get a patent on it first and then some negotiations could follow.... couldn't hurt I guess.

10Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sun Sep 13, 2009 4:24 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

DudBuster wrote:Thank you again Ron for creating such a wonderful aftermarket product! Something like this should definitely come stock with the CW machine. Have you ever contacted LHR about your Rock? Maybe get a patent on it first and then some negotiations could follow.... couldn't hurt I guess.

The patent is in the works, and then I do hope to do business with LHR...

Thanks again for your kind words!

Ron

11Just put in my order Empty Re: Just put in my order Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:16 pm

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

Very cool man! I am confident that LHR would be willing to talk, if not aren't, they are crazy!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum