CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

my custom dust collector

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1my custom dust collector Empty my custom dust collector Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:20 am

Pratyeka

Pratyeka
New User

It took me some time and a few trial and error to come up with a system that sucks virtually every speck of wood dust from inside the CW. I modified a DC nozzle to fit in the machine in place of the cover. It sits on the metal frame that's above the roller. The fan unit is a King 1hp, 600cfm. I replaced the 30 micron bag that comes with the unit with a 1 micron bag made for a 1200cfm unit. The bag is fitted on a 45gallon plastic drum with the top cover off. 4" PVC pipes make the connections. See the pics:......
Hum, now way to upload pics here? well, See the pics here

http://ww.fromvirtualtoreal.ca

2my custom dust collector Empty Re: my custom dust collector Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:19 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Pratyeka,

Great set up and it looks like it will do a great job with the dust control for the CW.

I have put some instructions for posting pictures to the forum. They are just some quick and dirty how tos but hope they help.

http://ringneckblues.com

3my custom dust collector Empty The old CNC Artguild forum Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:10 pm

cestout

New User

The old forum had a bunch of photos of downdraft tables etc. Is there anyway to collect them and post them here for those who didn't see them? I used the knowledge from that to design and build mine. It works great on narrower stuff, but wide pieces with a lot of carving, like guitars, I have to stop the machine and vacuum it out several times.
Clint

4my custom dust collector Empty Re: my custom dust collector Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:26 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Clint,

Sorry to say that we lost all of the info from the old forum. We hope that those that posted their pictures will re post them here. I have to get some updated pictures of my DC set up to post here. Would like to see your set up as well.

5my custom dust collector Empty side draft question Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:19 am

Bradleytavares

Junior User

I have been using the factory supplied downdraft slot in the base for my DC. This seemed to move a lot of air with the 1hp, 914 cfm blower. I altered the clear plastic cover to receive a head from an old vacuum which is was also running into the DC. This works but was in the way for viewing or bit change and specially to R&R the flex-shaft. I saw that someone posted photos and verbiage regarding a side draft only. I would appreciate a re-run on the specks, flange to 4" plastic port /availability for mounting inside the recess on the far side, etc and other cool stuff for DC systems. The person that posted his work stated that it removed ALL dust from ALL operations, nicely. Sounds like I should consider the change. Thanks for the help. P.S. Machine is back from a factory warranty tune up and it seems to work well. I'm anxious to scan some parts and see how accurately it re creates them. Ole Dad.

6my custom dust collector Empty Re: my custom dust collector Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:31 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Bradleytavares wrote:I have been using the factory supplied downdraft slot in the base for my DC. This seemed to move a lot of air with the 1hp, 914 cfm blower. I altered the clear plastic cover to receive a head from an old vacuum which is was also running into the DC. This works but was in the way for viewing or bit change and specially to R&R the flex-shaft. I saw that someone posted photos and verbiage regarding a side draft only. I would appreciate a re-run on the specks, flange to 4" plastic port /availability for mounting inside the recess on the far side, etc and other cool stuff for DC systems. The person that posted his work stated that it removed ALL dust from ALL operations, nicely. Sounds like I should consider the change. Thanks for the help. P.S. Machine is back from a factory warranty tune up and it seems to work well. I'm anxious to scan some parts and see how accurately it re creates them. Ole Dad.

Brad,

Here is a link to your question from the CW forum.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?t=10145&highlight=dust+collection

7my custom dust collector Empty Dust Collector Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:41 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Pratyeka wrote:It took me some time and a few trial and error to come up with a system that sucks virtually every speck of wood dust from inside the CW. I modified a DC nozzle to fit in the machine in place of the cover. It sits on the metal frame that's above the roller. The fan unit is a King 1hp, 600cfm. I replaced the 30 micron bag that comes with the unit with a 1 micron bag made for a 1200cfm unit. The bag is fitted on a 45gallon plastic drum with the top cover off. 4" PVC pipes make the connections. See the pics:......
Hum, now way to upload pics here? well, See the pics here

Pratyeka,

I note that you link to the CarveSpot forum for the photos of your dust collector. This is sort of an off the wall question but.........

Have you found the CarveSpot forum to be useful? Since the old CNC Forum went toes up, with the loss of all those great threads, I'm looking at spreading around the wealth, such as the information on dust collectors, so something like this will not happen again.

Comments?

Thank you in advance!

Very Happy

8my custom dust collector Empty Re: my custom dust collector Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:39 pm

Pratyeka

Pratyeka
New User

woodchipsltd wrote:

Pratyeka,

I note that you link to the CarveSpot forum for the photos of your dust collector. This is sort of an off the wall question but.........

Have you found the CarveSpot forum to be useful? Since the old CNC Forum went toes up, with the loss of all those great threads, I'm looking at spreading around the wealth, such as the information on dust collectors, so something like this will not happen again.

Comments?

Thank you in advance!

Very Happy

Sorry for the late reply, been very busy. Do I find the Carvespot forum useful? Well, I'm new to that forum, I haven't seen the old one, so I can't compare. IMHO for a forum to be useful, it has to have been around long enough to have accumulated a good amount of information and relevant posts. So by this definition, it's not really usefull for now. Only regular and frequent quality posting by a large user base will make it useful.This is not a criticism, just my understanding of what make a good forum.
Best regards.

http://ww.fromvirtualtoreal.ca

9my custom dust collector Empty Re: my custom dust collector Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:04 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Totally agree. Let's just hope this forum gets back up to the way it use to be. Hopefully a lot of those folks that posted there will start posting here as well.

Very Happy

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum