CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Dudbuster downdraft

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Dudbuster downdraft Empty Dudbuster downdraft Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:42 pm

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

I had a friend of mine weld some 3/16" thick angle iron to form a frame.

For a top (or base) I used a 6' x 16" x 3/4" piece of laminated shelving from Lowe's. I only used about 2' for the top and the remainder (about 4') was used to make a "scanning sled". I cut a 1 1/2" x 12" slot in the middle that matches up pretty well with the slot in the bottom of the CW machine. Also, in the last picture you can see I added strips of 1" foam padding (also from Lowe's) to seal up the bottom between the machine and the base.

I used a large (4" x 14") HVAC register for the "adapter" between the base and the hose for the dust collector (also purchased from Lowe's).I used caulk to seal the gaps between the register and the base. Also between the register and the hose is a neck down insert to bring the outside diameter down from 6" to 4".

The dust collector was another purchase from Lowe's (It was a floor model so I got it around 40% off original price). It is a 1 hp Delta Model AP400 dust collector.

Dudbuster downdraft Pictur15
Dudbuster downdraft Pictur16
Dudbuster downdraft Pictur17
Dudbuster downdraft Pictur18
Dudbuster downdraft Pictur19

Last edited by DudBuster on Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:16 am; edited 2 times in total

2Dudbuster downdraft Empty Re: Dudbuster downdraft Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:41 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Great pictures of your set up!

Also nice pick up on the DC!! I also was able to get a good deal on the floor model from Lowe's. Mine was a 1HP/650 CFM unit.

http://ringneckblues.com

3Dudbuster downdraft Empty Down draft dust collector Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:57 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

DudBuster,

Nice work. Question. Would a standard shop vac work vice the Delta DC that you show here? Any idea how much air must be moved to make this work? This looks rather simple to make and easy to maintain.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Question Very Happy

4Dudbuster downdraft Empty Re: Dudbuster downdraft Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:53 pm

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

I don't really know if a shop vac would work... I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. As far as how much air must be moved that is a mystery to me as well. I have noticed that the setup I have still has problems getting some of the sawdust. I am trying to figure a way to get some air moving on the top of the project, either to blow it to the sides or split the DC hose and run another intake to the top or side of the machine. I saw a mod that someone did with their machine where they cut out part of the housing on the side and installed an intake through there... dunno. I will see what I can come up with. Hopefully less intrusive than cutting up the machine.

I liked fwharris's fish tank air pump idea as well. I may have to try that one out.

5Dudbuster downdraft Empty Re: Dudbuster downdraft Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:46 am

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

woodchipsltd wrote:DudBuster,

Nice work. Question. Would a standard shop vac work vice the Delta DC that you show here? Any idea how much air must be moved to make this work? This looks rather simple to make and easy to maintain.

Question Very Happy

I agree with the simple set up concept. Easy to do!!

On the use of the shop vac vs DC unit, you will find that the DC is much quiter to run plus with the higher air movement it will move the dust and chips better.

6Dudbuster downdraft Empty Re: Dudbuster downdraft Mon Jul 20, 2009 1:48 am

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

woodchipsltd wrote:DudBuster,

Question Very Happy

You will find that the DC will be quiter plus the higher air volume will pick up the dust and chips better.

7Dudbuster downdraft Empty Dudbuster downdraft Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:05 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

FW,

I have two shop vac/dust collectors in my shop. One is the standard Craftsman. The other is the much better and more user friendly Porter Cable. I also have one of those Dust Deputy cyclone type units attached to the Porter Cable. The PC has a 1-3/8" hose but it can take the chrome off a trailer hitch and is VERY quiet. This is the unit I was considering for the dust collector on my CW. The Craftsman is 100 times louder and doesn't even come close to equaling the collecting power that the PC has.

Does anyone see any issues that I need to consider with this idea?

Thanks in advance!

Question Very Happy

8Dudbuster downdraft Empty Re: Dudbuster downdraft Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:25 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Woodchips,

The only thing I would say is to give it a try and see how it works. I'm sure the PC is a much better vac than the craftsman unit. You will need to get a 1 3/8" x 4" adapter to hook up to the attachment!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]