CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

What is FilePick©?

4 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1What is FilePick©? Empty What is FilePick©? Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:08 am

LittleRedWoodshop

LittleRedWoodshop
Senior Carvaholic
Senior Carvaholic

What is FilePick©? Banner11
COPYRIGHT © AND DESIGN BY ROBERT J.BRIGGS BRAMPTON ONTARIO CANADA

http://www.gagechek.com/fp/

INTRODUCTION

Do you have a number of documents and pictures on your computer ? You may have an article on maintenance and repairs in one file or an article on a pattern designs in another file. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to use a large picture from one of the pages in a file (or any other picture you choose) to launch the file or program? That's what FilePick was designed for.

What is FilePick©? Kr0110

What is FilePick©? Rose10

What is FilePick©? Kr0210

Being able to see the first page of a document from a small folder thumbnail may not tell you that it's the document you are looking for. With FilePick you can assign a much larger picture for example from page 7 in a file to identify and launch the file or application.

FilePick is easy to use. First you browse to a file or an application on your computer and then click the OK button. Next type in a description such as "Patterns" or "Repairs" and then choose a picture to associate with the item. From now on when you click on the picture or description, the document, picture, or application will launch.

What is FilePick©? Kr0410

What is FilePick©? Kr0510

What is FilePick©? Kr0610

What is FilePick©? Kr0710

Have you ever had to open up a series of drawings looking for the right one? Now you can use FilePick to conveniently locate your drawings. Launch CAD drawings, schematics, image files, documents, and other applications. Use FilePick to catalog all your entries.

What is FilePick©? Xray10

What is FilePick©? Scrn10
FilePick Picture Dialog with Snip Tool

Just open a file or program and drag the cross hairs of the built-in Snip Tool around anything on your screen and instantly create a picture. It doesn't matter if it's a business form or document, a blue print, a CAD drawing or a PDF file or a picture. Whatever it is, you can use what's on your screen as an image to match your FilePick listing.

What is FilePick©? Kr0310

Just click on your picture or click the list name and your document, image or program will launch onto your screen.

What is FilePick©? Backfl10

Folders can be created in FilePick to group your information together, whether it's for business or personal, with things categorized and cataloged. Each listing will allow you to launch the appropriate application and associated file.

What is FilePick©? Listin10

What is FilePick©? Draw10

For Microsoft
Windows XP/Vista
computers

http://littleredwoodshop.com

2What is FilePick©? Empty Re: What is FilePick©? Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:33 am

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Does it have search features on the program?

ie.. I want to find all images associated with boats can I just type in boats and will it then bring up all my files with boats and with that when I enter a file I know I can associate a picture with it but could you also associate a key word with the file to use in searches later?

3What is FilePick©? Empty HMMMMM Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:50 am

LittleRedWoodshop

LittleRedWoodshop
Senior Carvaholic
Senior Carvaholic

Not that I have found - but it does sort your files alphabetically by name and having the pic has helped me out alot. I have close to 3000 patterns, I think. I am still moving them from 4 different computers to my new one.

I never cared before because I got tired of looking through all of those files and having to open all of the ones that I thought were the right ones. Having the pic makes a huge difference. The software also saves the filepath so that when you double click on the one you want it opens it in the Designer software.

Note: the gentleman that wrote the software is "Robert" he signed up last night and will be on here today, you might be able to set up a chat with him and I'm sure he would be glad to answer all of your questions.

http://littleredwoodshop.com

4What is FilePick©? Empty Re: What is FilePick©? Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:30 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Jason Allen wrote: but it does sort your files alphabetically by name [/i]

Hmmm. I guess you could sort our your own and classify them in Files then. Look forward to catching up later and I just might just to send him whether or not it might be possible.

5What is FilePick©? Empty Using FilePick Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:33 pm

robert

New User

When you begin a hobby you have a small number of designs and it's easy to keep track of them, but as you continue you get to the point where it becomes difficult to remember what you called the project you did months or even years earlier. Sometimes you want to use a previous project as a base for a new creation and the only way to find it is to open up each file one at a time. The more files you have, the more time consuming this becomes. When your interest in the hobby expands you start to collect project instructions from the internet which are quite often in PDF format. The PDF file may have several projects in it and you may only be interested in the item on the last page of the file. So that you not only have to open the file, you have to go through each page in it to find the instructions you want.

That's where FilePick comes in. First of all, FilePick lets you catalog your files with your own descriptions so if a file name is just box.xxx you can add a description like - Carved jewelry boxes done for Mom and Diane. The PDF files that may have several projects in them can include a description of the contents in the PDF file. When you are looking for a file you have a much better idea of what's in it before you open it.

While that's good as far as it goes, what really helps is pictures. FilePick will let you store a small picture of your file. So if you have hundreds or thousands of drawings you can now scroll through the FilePick listing and see what's in the file without having to open it.

When you initially add your files to the FilePick Listing, you can use FilePick to Browse to a project folder on your computer select all the files and bring them into FilePick all at once.

If you right click on the default picture shown to the right of the listing, and click OPEN, FilePick will launch the appropriate software and load the indicated file. What is really useful is that at the same time FilePick will also launch the built in Snip Tool which will allow you to simply click Begin and drag the cross hairs over anything on screen to use as a picture.

So you can use your drawing as a picture, or go to page 5 in a PDF file and use a picture there. As soon as you let go of the mouse button the Snip Tool dialog pops back up next to your mouse and you can click Copy. FilePick will immediately be back onscreen with your selected image. Click Save and you now have a picture matched to the file.

From now on when you scroll down your list of entries, the pictures you have selected are matched up with the file names and descriptions and you can find what you are looking for without having to open file after file.

6What is FilePick©? Empty Re: What is FilePick©? Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:52 pm

Sharon

New User

I'm Robert's wife and I do Beta testing, tech support, and correspondence for our software and I have used the software extensively to catalog all of my lace designs, so I can probably answer most of your questions.

To date, no one has requested a search function and as Jason has mentioned it does sort the files in alphabetical order. If you press any letter key it will go to the first file matching that letter.

You can also arrange your files in different folders by category. If you have a file that fits into more than one category you can just enter it in different folders and FilePick will use the same picture that you already associated it with.

The program has just recently been released and new features will be added as we become familiar with what people need.

7What is FilePick©? Empty Re: What is FilePick©? Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:54 pm

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

Will future updates be included free to those that have purchased it or will there be charge for future updates.

Example of what I was looking for is in the pattern store where you can type in a key word and certain patterns show up. When you assign a file and then a pic to it will it be possible to add key words to that file?

Reasons: I have drawings and images concerning boats, some might be military some might be something simple like a canoe. I might have category like military for those ships but it would not bring up the canoe I might have in a category such as wilderness. Situation arises where I need to look for all ships and boats and would like to put in a key word like ship or boat that would bring them all up no matter what category you have them in.

Program looks like something that would work well, just curious to future updates.

8What is FilePick©? Empty FilePick Software Updates Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:15 am

robert

New User

We may offer future FilePick updates for free provided that the updates don't require extensive programming. For example if several weeks or months are involved in programming then there may be a nominal fee to update.

You can create folders in FilePick to separate your different interests. The folders are not created on your computer and are created for FilePick listing purposes only. The path to all your files remains unchanged and no files are moved around on your computer. The listing in FilePick along with it's folders can be sorted alphabetically. If you press a keyboard letter key, then the listing immediately scrolls to that entry. Press the 'B' key and the listing will scroll to every entry that starts with the letter B.

A keyword search feature may be added in future however at this point we have not received any requests for this feature to be added. We did not want to re-invent Windows since currently Windows search capabilities allows you to easily locate a file on your computer and even locate text within a file.

We greatly appreciate customer input and want to design our software to work in a convenient and useful manner so that customers enjoy using the program.

If you have purchased and use the FilePick software regularly we would be pleased to hear from you and consider adding any additional features you would like to see.

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum