CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Use of "other" bits

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Use of "other" bits Empty Use of "other" bits Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:44 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

One and all,

I'm about ready to change out my original QC with the new Rock Chuck. There are still some "issues" with regards to the CW warranty in doing so but...........

My question is whether anyone has ever used "other" bits in their machines? If so what shape and brand? And if so have you had any trouble in doing so?

Thank you in advance for any and all information!

Very Happy

2Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:35 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Woodchips,

You should check out rjustice's web sit http://www.cw-parts.com/ for a look at the bits he offers.

http://ringneckblues.com

3Use of "other" bits Empty Use of "other" bits Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:12 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

fwharris wrote:Woodchips,

You should check out rjustice's web sit http://www.cw-parts.com/ for a look at the bits he offers.

FW,

Yes, I saw those before ordering my RC. My question was more towards those that have used other 1/2" shanked bits such as White Side or Rocker etc, in their machines. I guess it probably has to do with the shape of the bit and whether or not it's in the designer software, right?

Question Very Happy

4Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:25 pm

supershingler

New User

you also need to make sure the bits are plunge type bits or you might have problems

ive used some different ball nose with good success.

kendall

5Use of "other" bits Empty Use of "other" bits Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:47 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Kendall,

Good point which completely slipped my mind, although after looking at the bit set that I purchased from LHR when I bought my machine I can't see much difference between those and other bits that I have for my regular router. Is there that much difference or is it dependent on the shape of the bit?

Question. If you have used other bits, how did you get that particular bit shape into the designer software?

Question Very Happy

6Use of "other" bits Empty Aftermarket Bits Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:45 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

There are a few things to consider.

The tool must be center cutting (also described as "plunge type" above. The way you can verify this is to look at the end of the tool, and see if the cutting edge go from the largest diameter of the tool, all the way to the center of the tip of the tool. If there is a gap, you will not be removing the material and it will put a serious load on the "Z" axis and can cause many problems.

The tool should be Carbide rather than high speed. The machine has the spindle speeds set for the heat resistance of carbide. If you use high speed tools they are quite likely to burn up quickly.

If you are trying something that is not in the library, try to pick a tool in the library that is about the same cutting diameter as what you are trying. This will insure that the spindle speed, and feedrates are pretty close to what the tool can take.

Be sure that you have enough flute length (sharp edges on the side of the tool) to cut the deepest part of the carving. If you dont have cutting flutes, you are going to severely overload the X and Y axis and can do damage.

Happy Carving Guys and Gals,

Ron

7Use of "other" bits Empty Use of "other" bits Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:28 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Ron,

Thank you very much for the great explanation!

Very Happy

8Use of "other" bits Empty Use of "other" bits Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:48 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Ron,

Just as a follow up to my original bit question.............

Have you, or anyone on this forum, ever tried to put additional bit shapes into the designer software and if so how did you do it?

Question Very Happy

9Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:18 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

woodchipsltd wrote:Ron,

Just as a follow up to my original bit question.............

Have you, or anyone on this forum, ever tried to put additional bit shapes into the designer software and if so how did you do it?

Question Very Happy

Woodchips,

I do not think that is possible to do or at least I have no knowledge of anyone doing that. The only thing I am aware of being able to add to the software is different wood types/backgrounds for the board settings.

10Use of "other" bits Empty Use of "other" bits Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:30 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

FW,

Thanks for the response. I'm really not sure if this is a big deal with anyone. My main reason for asking, again, is the LHR warranty. There are other fine router bit makers out there with 1/2" shanked plung bits, that duplicate the bits that are sold via LHR. And although carbide will last for a 1000 years, sometime there does present situations where a bit must be changed for one reason or another. I was just curious as to why we CW users must stick with the bits that are sold by LHR. Comments?

As for making bit profile additions to the software, I'm not sure that's a big deal either. So far in my limited use of my machine, more because I'm not that comfortable using the designer software as yet than anything else, I haven't found a time when I've needed a different router bit profile. Just thinking ahead a little.

Thanks again for the response.

Very Happy

11Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:36 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Woodchips,

The only answer I might have for that is that most manufactures want you to only use their parts for their equipment.

12Use of "other" bits Empty QC Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:31 pm

trplbogie

trplbogie
Senior User
Senior User

woodchipsltd wrote:One and all,

I'm about ready to change out my original QC with the new Rock Chuck. There are still some "issues" with regards to the CW warranty in doing so but...........

My question is whether anyone has ever used "other" bits in their machines? If so what shape and brand? And if so have you had any trouble in doing so?

Thank you in advance for any and all information!

Very Happy

I am with you. I have had my machine for 3 weeks and LHR says there is no warranty on the QC. I clean it with a toothbrush each bit change, even during project, and use dry lube. Now I am getting pitting on two of the bits but the rest are fine. I cannot use the one's with pitting as they are not stable and have movement. Other bits don't have the problem. Right now I am Pi***d at LHR, after one conversation they have failed to return my call. Now I have a bit that is stuck....hope when machine cools off the metals will contract and I will be able to get it out. Gotta look into the Rock Chuck...any good advice out there? I am also going to the CarveWright Forum to vent my frustrations.

13Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:44 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Fred,

If the bit and adapter are stuck try working the outer ring of the QC up and down, turn the QC and repeat. Also tap it with the handle of the tooth brush in between trying to work the outer ring up and down. Also with this try rocking the bit/adpater back and forth.

I also notice you are using dry lube, I did that way back when and had the same issure you are with the pitting. I think the dry lube does not lube as good as 3-1 oil.. and found it also lead to rust problems. I put a small amount of 3-1 on a rag and wipe the inside of the QC after I have cleaned all of the dust out.

14Use of "other" bits Empty thanks Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:49 pm

trplbogie

trplbogie
Senior User
Senior User

fwharris wrote:Fred,

If the bit and adapter are stuck try working the outer ring of the QC up and down, turn the QC and repeat. Also tap it with the handle of the tooth brush in between trying to work the outer ring up and down. Also with this try rocking the bit/adpater back and forth.

I also notice you are using dry lube, I did that way back when and had the same issure you are with the pitting. I think the dry lube does not lube as good as 3-1 oil.. and found it also lead to rust problems. I put a small amount of 3-1 on a rag and wipe the inside of the QC after I have cleaned all of the dust out.

Well, my new friend Floyd,

Thanks for the reply, already have done all that plus taken out the cable to take pressure off. To no avail, I wonder if I can get to one of the bit screws and take it out to get the bit out. But I am fumed at LHR's warranty response. They claim the QC is a consumable item and not under warranty....hmmm comsumable, maybe I see a BBQ coming.

Fred

15Use of "other" bits Empty Stuck bits Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:54 pm

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Fred,

Once you get that stuck bit out of the original QC, there is only one thing to do....

GET A ROCK CHUCK AND GET IT NOW!

Please see the various other threads on this forum with regards to the Rock Chuck. Read each one thoroughly. And when you get your Rock, before installation, read and re-read ALL of the installation instructions listed in this forum and especially those from Mr. Ron Justice, the designer of the Rock.

Please let us all know how your "stuck bit" worked out and follow up that with how much better you've found using the Rock Chuck is to enjoying your CW.

All the best.

Very Happy

16Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:43 pm

rjustice

rjustice
Junior User

trplbogie wrote:
fwharris wrote:Fred,

Well, my new friend Floyd,

Thanks for the reply, already have done all that plus taken out the cable to take pressure off. To no avail, I wonder if I can get to one of the bit screws and take it out to get the bit out. But I am fumed at LHR's warranty response. They claim the QC is a consumable item and not under warranty....hmmm comsumable, maybe I see a BBQ coming.

Fred

Hi Fred,
Thanks for your interest in the Rock Chuck. I hope that you do switch over, but in the meantime, sometimes the reason for bit adapters getting stuck in the QC is because the setscrews that hold the bit have backed out, and are pressing against the inside of the chuck. I have seen, and heard of this several times now. You might look it over and see if this is the case.

I wish you luck!

Ron

17Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:50 pm

trplbogie

trplbogie
Senior User
Senior User

woodchipsltd wrote:Fred,

Once you get that stuck bit out of the original QC, there is only one thing to do....

GET A ROCK CHUCK AND GET IT NOW!

Please see the various other threads on this forum with regards to the Rock Chuck. Read each one thoroughly. And when you get your Rock, before installation, read and re-read ALL of the installation instructions listed in this forum and especially those from Mr. Ron Justice, the designer of the Rock.

Please let us all know how your "stuck bit" worked out and follow up that with how much better you've found using the Rock Chuck is to enjoying your CW.

All the best.

Very Happy

I went over to LHR this morning, and they replaced the QC , however I did have to buy 2 new bits. Sat awhile and talked to Connnie and also got a good description of the new QC that is sceduled for Jan. It sounds good. No price set as yet. If this QC holds out until then, I may try the new one if not then it's the rock.

Thanks for all the help. It is nice to be close by and have the availability to go over to LHR. I get to see some test carves and what they put the machine through and what they are trying to develop new. And as always I learn something each time I am there.

Last edited by trplbogie on Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

18Use of "other" bits Empty Re: Use of "other" bits Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:53 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Fred,

Glad you got all taken care of. Must be great being so close you can go rub elbows with the staff!!

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum