CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Polyurethane

2 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Polyurethane Empty Polyurethane Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:29 am

trplbogie

trplbogie
Senior User
Senior User

I finished a sign, spread on a coat of polyurethane and it looked great. Should have left alone, but no, I wanted a second coat. After smothing with 0000 steel wool and cleaning off, I applied a second coat that when drying throughly cracked.
I have sanded all the coating off. Not all the way to bare board in all places, at this point I wanted to experiment a bit. So I came back and stained with a different color stain and got a very nice result. a mixture of what was left on the wood and a new stain. Plus I left a carve region the original color and stained around it, in essence I have a three stain sign.
Now I don't want this cracking issue again. Any help or suggestions. Everything is oil base.

Thanks

Last edited by trplbogie on Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:12 pm; edited 2 times in total

2Polyurethane Empty Re: Polyurethane Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

I try to stay away from the ploy... for me it is a pain to work with..

I use acrylic for about 99.999% of everything I do...

I also have played with multi stain effects and find it can really add to the project..

Post some pictures on yours!! affraid

http://ringneckblues.com

3Polyurethane Empty acrylic Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:59 am

trplbogie

trplbogie
Senior User
Senior User

fwharris wrote:I try to stay away from the ploy... for me it is a pain to work with..

I use acrylic for about 99.999% of everything I do...

I also have played with multi stain effects and find it can really add to the project..

Post some pictures on yours!! affraid

Floyd,
I am sure you are using the spread on acrylic as opposed to the spray. If I can get a good picture I will post the Alabama 13 National Championship Plaque elephant I made after we beat Texas and Bevo (Brisket) cheers Will try to get a couple up in the proper section.

Thanks

4Polyurethane Empty Re: Polyurethane Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:43 pm

fwharris

fwharris
Carvaholic
Carvaholic

Fred,

I actually do use the spray on for the majority of my carves. Cost just a bit more but I do not have to mess with any brush clean up.

Will be looking for those pictures!!

http://ringneckblues.com

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum