CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in

5 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

Ok, this stuff has eluded me for ages now. I went to or called nearly every home improvement, auto store, machine shop etc... within 50 miles. I talked to Jason the other day and as always he knew right were to go. O'Reilly Auto Parts is just about the only game in town that carries this stuff, unless you order it online. Oh heres a picture of it in case you shop like I do (look rather than text)

Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Pictur20

Also when I was on the phone with Jason he was talking about a tray to hold the "Flex Shaft" in while it soaks. It got me thinking when I was at my daily trip to Lowe's (sorry I cant help it, they are like crack for me). For this I used a 6' section of 1/2" PVC and 2 end caps. The bottom end cap is cemented and the top one is removable. I cut the PVC so that it is about 1/4" less than the length of the Flex Shaft and filled it with the chain lube. Throw the top on and leave it overnight, or if you have 2 shafts.... let one soak, and use the other. Portable, keeps the dirt out, and costs about $3.00 to make. Dont know if the chain lube reacts with the PVC or not, but so far I have not had a problem. The blue tape lets me know which end needs to be pointing up, so it doesn't leak, lol. I need stupid notes like that otherwise my pants end up being put on backwards.

Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Pictur21
Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Pictur22
Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Pictur23
Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Pictur24

2Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Empty I applaud.... Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:14 pm

LittleRedWoodshop

LittleRedWoodshop
Senior Carvaholic
Senior Carvaholic

you my friend...nicely done.

http://littleredwoodshop.com

3Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Empty Liquid wrench with moly Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:54 am

woodchipsltd

woodchipsltd
Junior Carvaholic
Junior Carvaholic

Dudbuster,

Great idea! Thanks for sharing.

Just one question. Once you take the flex shaft out of the tube do you let it stand for awhile and let the excess lube drain off or do you just wipe it down, re-install it and go from there?

I seem to remember someone in the old forum making comments on not allowing excess lubrication to leak out the end into the truck bearings etc, etc. Something about the lube heating up on top of the bearings and the seals going out?

Could be mistaken. Just thought I'd ask. I'm a rookie with this machine and need to learn as much as possible from all you pros out there.

Question Very Happy

DudBuster

DudBuster
Senior User
Senior User

trust me, Im far from pro.... I AM as cherry as one can be with this machine. I think all total I have about 13 hours of carve time under my belt, 99% of it messing around seeing what the CW can do. I just made the PVC contraption yesterday morning and let it soak outside with the Moly last night to see if there were any adverse reactions (still none that I know of). I would assume to let the flex shaft drip dry then go for a wipe, but that question would be better left to one of the Masters here.

Badger

Badger
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

I use the same technique by using the pvc piping and after I pull it out I wipe the excess off and make sure its dry before putting it back in.

6Liquid Wrench with Moly and something to soak it in Empty flex shaft moly Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:29 am

Bradleytavares

Junior User

Good conversation regarding the O-so important flex shaft and its lubricant. Through trial and failure I've come up with a way to lube and store the shaft. I use Crane Cams Moly assembly lube and only a small stream the length of the shaft. I wear plastic throw away gloves to disassemble, clean, lube, store and install my two shafts and sheaths. After I clean the shaft with a disposable white towel I spin the liner spring through the towel to remove the grit. Sometimes I choose to install the spring and repeat the process. After I spread a very small amount of the Crane Cams Assembly lube (all moly grease) I distribute the moly into the spring by bending it slightly and running it through my greasy gloved fingers until it is worked in. At this point I replace everything into the extra sheath and let it dry at least overnight. I have tried to use the shaft without letting it dry and it seems to heat up in the first use. I have to remove the flex shaft clean it again and start over. I have found not to rush the process. In addition I have installed the Rock Chuck and I feel it has helped reduce the heat created in the shaft. It also seems to be noticeably quieter. I can hardly wait to try F W Harris's dust collector pick up nozzle. Once I get the dust under control I think that the Hot Rodding that is available for the machine will make it an even better tool than it is now. Bottom line, let the lube dry or it will be sticky and you won't be happy. Be Happy!!! and have fun carving, it's a great tool. Ol' Dad

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum