CNC Art Guild of America - Forum & Homepage
Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Thank you for visiting the CNC Art Guild of America Forum & Homepage. If your not a member of the forum and wish to sign-up click on "Register" button below. If you are a member sign-in now!

Members enjoy the use of our Live Chat and the ability to post.

If you are interested in joining the Guild - click on the "Join The Guild" link at the top of the page.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement: To further the craft of CNC Art for the benefit of our members and to Strive everyday to be better than yesterday.

You are not connected. Please login or register

32" Starship model

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

132" Starship model Empty 32" Starship model Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:19 pm

LittleRedWoodshop

LittleRedWoodshop
Senior Carvaholic
Senior Carvaholic

Originial posted at Forum.CarveWright.com by joesighting

I wanted to show off my first fabricated model with the STL importer. This is the Starship Voyager it's 32" long and made up of about 14 slices. I found the 3D model here http://www.trekmeshes.ch/ (Model made by Sarod, want to give credit where it's due) It's a really nice 3d mesh. I still have a long way to go, but so far I couldn't be more thrilled.

32" Starship model Img_0110

32" Starship model Img_0111

32" Starship model Img_0112

32" Starship model Img_0113

Yeah, I'll work on a screen capture video to show how I did it. It actually wasn't too hard. I did use that healing feature alot. This software is amazing. Once I figured it out, I realized I can slice anything.

I've been working more on the model and have realized I used the wrong foam. I used a 2lb polyiso foam which was cheap, but I will definitely use something more dense next time. It's a little to porous so I'm having to fill it with spackling and putty. I was hoping primer would fill in th texture, but it hasn't been perfect. Rubbing in the putty seems to work pretty well. The details are truly amazing! I got it glued together into 2 main sections using contact cement and started priming and filling. Here's a couple more pics. Calling it a night. More tomorrow. This is the most fun I've had with this machine!

32" Starship model Img_0114

32" Starship model Img_0115

I've been working away on my Starship. Once I got the filling and sanding done, I assembled the 2 halves and filled and primed those seams. The result was amazing. A complete starship voyager. Now its on to painting!

32" Starship model Img_0116

32" Starship model Img_0117

32" Starship model Img_0118

I spent all night just on the top of the saucer section. Defining the panels and windows. This is still in a pretty rough state, but it's starting to look so cool I couldn't wait to show it. I'm just using acrylic paints right now.

32" Starship model Img_0120

http://littleredwoodshop.com

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum